Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanks Giving over and done, it was good to have Tara's girls come visit our new home. Early Friday morning everybody except Tara, who had been up all night, went for a walk. I have now got myself into a routine of checking on all the homes in the community on my daily hike. Once you get to the very end of the point the vegetation changes and the trees turn from Douglas Fir to Silver Birch, this is the perfect place to do my prayers and the family has come to accept that this is who I am and just leave me alone to honor the Gods.
We then walked down to the jetty and all stood and watched a Golden Eagle swooping down over the island for his next meal. With out realizing it a sudden calm and peace came over me, that I have not experienced in America before. The same stillness I feel in Glastonbury, I had finally found here in these lands, was that internal struggle over, I smiled to myself.
Later that day I went fishing off the jetty, if anyone knows me I am not the fishing type, here in my new home it feels right. Not really bothering whether I catch anything or not, just content to cast the spinner out over the mouth of the estuary and slowly wind it back in, I had a strong bite. More shocked than excited I reeled my catch in. Was it Salmon, trout ? No a mud crab. Grabbing my landing net I made secure my prize, then realized it was not quite big enough to eat, released it back over the side. One more even bigger tug on my line did get my adrenaline pumping, just as I caught a glimpse of a large crab coming up from the deep, my line broke sending my catch back to the deep.
Later that night Tara and I were driving home from Astoria, Tara saw something on the side of the road, not me for I am as blind as a bat at night. She was sure she had seen a wolf eating road kill on the bank. Then she convinced herself she had imagined it as all the close run-ins we had had with deer at night had made her jumpy, years ago she had had a really bad accident, which involved hitting a deer at night.
 Early next morning, first light, she woke me and said can you hear that. In the distance I heard a faint siren sound and explained that it was a fire truck and to prove my point I pushed the window wide open. there was no mistaking that sound, the haunting sound of a lone wolf howling down at the end of the point.
Tara jumped on the Kindle to check if there were supposed to be wolves in this location. There had been several sightings in our local area of the Pacific Grey Wolf. In my shamanic work I am always White bear but that is not my clan, on my stomach I have a tattoo that marks me as a member of the wolf clan. This solitary wolf was calling my soul, my spirit back to the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment