Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Yesterday was my first day back from the UK after seeing my mother, who is very poorly. My wife Tara was away in Portland so it was just me and the dogs at our new home on Willipa Bay. Three miles to the nearest road and 12 miles to the nearest store, not much to do but explore. The weather had been stormy but this day it was glorious.
Before I started out, I had made an oath to honor and respect the Native American energies that were guardians over the land where I now lived. I took out my wife's Native flute (which I had never ever played before) and Youtubed how to play. The guy explained once you have got the basic scale "just let spirit guide you." I made my way out to our back yard which over looks the bay and began to play.
At first I was missing notes and it sounded like a cat in pain, then finally I got it. A friend of mine had told me that you play the horizon, for that is the song of your place. So I followed the contours up and down along the mountain range. Finally as I finished I heard the loud cry of a Bald Eagle which swooped down low over my head, so low I could see each individual feather. This was a great blessing, the highest of spirits had welcomed me to my new home.

1 comment: