Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Last night I held my voice of Odin pod cast. On this occasion I didn't stop every couple of minutes to explain what I had just read from the sagas. Instead I read the whole story, allowing the listeners to become more involved in the tale, only after it was told did we get involved with questions. This seems to honor the storytellers craft of the Bard or Skald far more than my previous discussions and that is how it will be from now on. So be prepared for Odinic story telling in the future.
I am also hoping to do the same project for New 72 Media based around the Celtic tales. I may follow the path of Odin but half my blood is Celtic. Previously I have studies the ways of my Irish and Welsh forefathers, even though I learnt their crafts , these did not resonate with me. It was the runes that called me. Strangely though as I started retracing my steps and reading the the stories of the invasions once more, a new found depth and magic appeared. This is the coming together of the red and white Dragons, a way the Norse and the Celt mysteries can combine as one.

4 comments:

  1. Henffych Jeremy; that's an interesting idea. My father's from a small village on the west coast of Anglesey, where many Viking remains have been discovered. The tale of Myrddin Emrys / Castell Dinas Brân is one of my favourites. There's an interesting parallel there too, as Brân is Welsh for crow, and knowing the Vikings love of the Corvidae family and the obvious Odin connection is interesting. Blessings - Ix

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived from the age of eight until thirteen on the west coast of Wales and went to school in Aberaeron. The sleeping Knights of Arthur is one of my favortie tales and I still use the Welsh language to say my deepest prayers. My experiences of this gifted childhood have shaped my magical path. Even the farm we lived on was called FFynon Dewi ( Davids Well) and was avery mystical place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ops - a bit to enthusiastic there! My earlier post should have read Castell Dinas Emrys. Too many kids and not enough sleep!!!

    I know Aberaeron, but not very wel. Lovely place, tho. Also like the sleeping Arthur story. I read many folk tales when I was a kid and have a good little collection now I'm older. I especially enjoy the Snowdonia based tales, as I now live in the national park, a stone!stone's throw away from Cader Idris. I'm also fascinated by the link between here and Glastonbury, Gwyn ap Nudd being the connection.

    I was in Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago and Ifind it quite sad that good old Glasto has changed so much. There seems to be a strange sort of energy there now. Avebury, on the other hand, seems to be back to its old greatness after a period of very odd vibes. Ah, well....

    Glad to hear you still use the old language; I agree that it does have a strong magic about it, especially when it is metered in the former of an englyn or reduced to a single line of cynghanedd. Ix

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete